Sunday, July 13, 2008

Everyday Stuff

First off, let me thank TechnoBabe and Jorge for their comments on the previous post. It feels good to be cared for but, I am fine. I know this blog usually paints a picture of my Life so, it was probably inconsistent of me to start posting writing that was not reflective of what was going on in the moment.

My poetry has taken on a Life of its own. It demands to be written and it does so loudly. The piece, Woman Speak, was written after reading "Snowflower and the Secret Fan"; a beautifully written book about Life in 19th century China as seen through the eyes of a girl-child who grows into a woman. It evoked very strong emotions in me about the condition of women, the oppression of women, the survival of women. I thought about the reality of Life for many women, especially poor women, in the 21st century. And the poem created itself.

I just wanted you all to know that for the past couple of months the majority of my poetry has not been about my current Life situation. I am not suffering; to the contrary, I'm pretty happy these days.

This way of writing is very new for me as poetry in my younger years was all about my own angst, anger, pain or romantic joys. These days, it seems, I make a connection that allows me to see through the eyes of others and then, poetry comes. If that poetry feels powerful, I will share it here. And, I do apologize for not clarifying that sooner.

Other Happenings
1. The girl-child who sleeps under my roof is taking dance lessons with a professional company and struggling. She was so distraught the first week and begged me not to make her go back. She has not taken a lesson in the 6 years prior to this summer and
is more than a bit embarrassed by her performance.

Needless to say, I am happy to know she is working hard at something that she likes. So many things come easily to her; this was a nice opportunity to help her understand the benefits of digging in and overcoming. She won't be a ballerina but, maybe she'll create a wonderful performance piece while she's in high school/college/a middle-aged woman in community theater!

2. Our friends from England are coming to visit and we are overjoyed at the prospect! Lots of fun things planned to cram into 2 days. You know, all those hometown things you rarely do because you can do them at anytime and then, suddenly, out-of-town guests appear and you try to do everything so they can get the best of the place in which you live. When we put them on the plane to NYC (ummm, lucky ducks, they get to visit my first hometown, too) I promise you they will be tired, excited and satisfied with/by Atlanta.

3. I'm working on a presentation for my job interviews (yes, plural) which will be coming up soon. I think this piece of analysis will be considered cutting edge for my organization. We'll see, but, I'm excited by the work and by the possibility of fully emerging from this personal economic downturn that I've been suffering for the past 7 years.

So, all things are well. May it be the same for you and yours...

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I used to love writing poetry, but I haven't loved it in many years now. I mostly like non fiction essay. I wish I had it in me to write a novel, actually.. but whatever. I still enjoy reading poetry even though I don't write it anymore. I love knowing when your work is a response to literature (and which book) or to a specific something... it enriches the poem to know what inspired it.

gbchange said...

Well then, from now on, I will make sure to have some commentary. I did that a few times but it felt a little self-absorbed. I'll get over it!

Gayle

CiCi said...

Not at all self-absorbed. However you put your thoughts on a post, you are a good writer. Glad to know your personal life situation is A-OK. When I read your previous post, it sounded like remembrances from long ago. Either way, it is very strong writing, and very good.

aafrica said...

next time i'm in Atlanta, i'll call you up so you can do hometown stuff and me tourist stuff. i need a girl companion who understnads the importance of window shopping.

job interviews are nerve racking. let us know how they turn out. and wish you the best of luck!