Sunday, January 04, 2009

The Year of Thinking Differently

First, Happy New Year. May 2009 be your best year ever.

Now, for a little of what I've been thinking...

I decided not to make a list of my desires this year. I have desires, of course, but this year it seemed that making a 2009 list of resolutions and wants was just more of the same. You see, some things on my "would be - should be" list have been there for a long time and, while I am perseverant, I am also practical. Something's gotta give and I think it might be me!

If it's true that the wise do not put new wine in old skins then, perhaps a change of skin is in order. I mean, how can I Live the Life I desire, living the way I do?

I do believe that your thoughts ultimately create the Life you lead; that each decision, each action is preceded by thoughts which substantiate it, making those decisions and actions seem reasonable. The sum of our actions (barring unforeseen external events) lead us along the path that creates our Lives. So, more of the same thinking won't lead me to my desires, won't create the path I want to walk.

This is the year of changing perspective of thinking in new ways , of asking "What if I do it differently?". Now, I'm not talking about quitting my job or selling my home. I'm not interested in running away from the externals in my Life. I am interested in changing the thoughts that create the seemingly small, everyday choices that I make. I'm thinking about shifting my inner core; of confronting those thoughts that are based upon fear and disappointment and the neglect I've experienced. Those thoughts that would have me play it down, play it safe or not play at all, that explain to me why I am not quite good enough.

So, my commitment for this year is to change my mind; to clear it daily through breath and meditation and to allow myself to experience the world and my Life in it with fresh eyes.

This is the year of thinking differently.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great resolution, Gayle! Reading your words over the past couple of years, and being exposed to your thought processes, you definitely have what it takes to make a success of your life, however you choose to define the term. Having read your last post on your Spaces page, I have to agree with you. What our country needs is for more of us to be looking out for each other, rather than just for ourselves. It's impossible to give to another without receiving something in return. Happy New Year to you and yours. Be well,
J.

Unknown said...

I love this post, Gayle... I'm right there with you.

Balou said...

I love this commitment...to change your mind. Good choice.
(like your blog)

anya said...

This is a wonderful post Gayle.

"The year of thinking differently." I like that so much, I'm going to stick it in my head permanently.

So glad you stopped by...I read a few of your posts...I like your blog a lot. I'll catch up more later.