Sunday, February 01, 2009

Footballmania

I'm not much of a sports fan. I was introduced to cricket a couple of years ago by my favorite lover and the womanchild loves soccer, aka football (making me a huge fan - when she's playing). But, although I enjoy watching when I have someone to discuss a game with, for me it is really about the social element more than the game itself.

Growing up, my family was immersed in tv and stadium sports. We attended Knicks, Nets, Mets, Yankees and Jets games. We watched any game that our team was playing and I admit to fully engaging in the spirit of sport.

In my 20s and 30s, lovers were usually impressed with my ability to analyze a game and predict the winner. One boyfriend actually used me to place his bets. I even received a few nice pieces of jewelry from the winnings.

Funny though, once I realized I had to give up some things to keep my little family going, sports just fell away. I don't recall even missing it. These days, when folks in the office start to discuss their favorite teams my eyes seem to roll up behind their lids and my mind freezes. "Who cares?", I think. Just about everyone, it seems.

It's hard for me to remember what I made all the fuss about years ago. Steelers or Cardinals (mind you, the Cardinals were only a baseball team when I seriously watched the game), win or lose, what will change tomorrow? Will banks start making loans, children be better protected and educated, the poor provided clean, safe housing and enough food to eat? Will the US and world economy begin to expand? How will the world be better?

What the 'big' game does allow us to do is to forget the problems and concerns that we face. And that's okay. We need a break from the stresses of Life every now and then. I'm all for taking a well deserved break. So, enjoy your Super Bowl parties 'cause tomorrow we face news of more job losses, business downturns and bi-partisan bickering (from both sides of the aisle).

I'll be watching for the commercials (and enjoying lots of good food and drink) at my friend Lester's house.

Wherever you are, if you are watching, I hope your team wins!

No comments: