Friday, February 20, 2009

Yes, I'm In Love

I have completely and without reservation fallen for Dave Mathews and his amazing band. Yes, I said it, I have a school girl crush and I'm proud of it.

If you know Dave, you know he has been around for a very long time. I, however, have lived under a rock for the past 14 years and somehow missed his excellent music until this past fall. And, it was only by accident that I found him.

Having dropped off the teens at school, I decided to roll the dice and listen to something other than my usual Bert Show (whose talk show makes me laugh - and who doesn't need a laugh in the morning?). I flipped to my rarely listened to Dave FM (cause the teenagers are always listening to the hip and the hop) and there, radiating out from my speakers, was this edgy, funky, rock/country/world/jazz music that made me LISTEN.

I mean, I focused on the song, its words, melody, intonation, instruments, the beat - all of it combined to create music in the way it was meant to be. I don't remember what was playing but I made a point to remember the band. About a month later, after the girl child asked if she could download some music, I realized I hadn't tried to find that band I liked so much. I dug through my purse to find the sticky note and hit the iTunes icon.

What I discovered has kept me rockin' for the past few months. I Love Dave Mathews.
I go to sleep with his voice in my head (thank goodness for iPods) and workout to him in the morning. I imagine meeting him in the airport as I'm about to get on a plane. We talk for a few moments and discover we are headed to the same place. I take my seat in coach, he walks to first class and a few minutes later, the flight attendant tells me I can move forward. What joy! A seat next to Dave.

I got it bad, I know. Teenagerish crush, for sure. It's like being 16, I just don't have posters on my bedroom walls. You gotta laugh at yourself when you're fantasizing about rock stars!

In case, by some strange twist of fate you haven't heard of Dave Mathews, here are a few of my favorites:
Crash Into Me
Everyday
Ants Marching
Steady As We Go

The Dreaming Tree
The Idea of You
Stay or Leave
Grey Street

What can I say? Everyone should have the joy of crushing in their middle years!

Rock on and smile...

1 comment:

Mojo said...

Hello Gayle! I am downloading as we speak....

Thanks for the note on my blog! Great questions and thank you for sharing. I wrote another entry and answered.

You are a wonderful, loving person - thank you for being in my life!

Love, Mj
www.oneyearinthemaking.blogspot.com