Friday, June 12, 2009

Taken It Over the Top

It's Friday, after a long, long week and I am watching Taken. I've wanted to see this movie for awhile now because I have a severe crush on Liam Neeson. Severe.

Now, if you don't know me, you may not know that I enjoy action flicks. I like the shoot 'em up, tough guy with sensitivity. Yes, thanks to my Dad, I am a sucker for a good guy with a heart of gold, who has just a touch of bad in him. The fellas I Love are not surprised by this, are you guys? Neither are my closest girlfriends. Hopefully, I'm raising my daughter to be smarter.

But, who can resist a good looking man with a sharp mind; hard muscles all around? Not to mention, Liam's time-honored quest to protect his daughter, in this movie. He takes extreme measures, to be sure. I find that I am both disgusted by the violence and empathetic regarding its use. If my child was threatened there is absolutely nothing I would not do to secure her safety. Though it is clear that I would not have the means or methodology to overcome a situation like his in the movie, I gain a sense of empowerment from watching a fictitious parent take a stand.

Perhaps, because I feel as if I take my stand everyday, in every way that I know how. I sacrifice and make deals with my God for the womanchild's happiness, her success, her survival. I am primal in my Love for her. There is no logic, no patience, no temperance. It is all that I have. Maybe you understand that, maybe it sounds overdone.

Anyway, Liam knows...

6 comments:

Ryan said...

I'm the same way with action movies! 24 as well. Something about seeing people be completely intense and all the action I don't see on a daily basis or something...?

Also wanted to reference that when I clicked on your blog "Hold My Hand" by Hootie and the Blowfish came on and its one of my FAVORITE songs EVER!

Thought I'd throw that in at the end of the comment.

Great post by the way!

Carol said...

If you like action movies then I suggest your try 'Shoot em up' (If you've not seen it already!!)...it does exactly what it says on the tin (with some laugh out loud lines thrown in to boot!!)

C x

Jorge said...

We all have our guilty pleasures :-) Hope you have a wonderful father's day weekend. Be well,
J.

DavidShag said...

I like action movies that make sense and are believable to some degree. I hate 'super' type protagonists who can run ten miles with a bullet hole in them - James Bond bores me silly. i really like Frantic with Harrison ford, because it made me think about what I would do in this situation. I like 'ordinary guy' (or gal) heroes in these things. And every time someone gets knocked out with one punch, I roll my eyes.

I am with you on Liam, how hot is HE?

heartinsanfrancisco said...

I had the same feelings about this movie, which I thought was excellent because I also adore Liam Neeson. I normally deplore excessive violence in movies but he is so utterly wonderful that it was impossible not to cheer for him.

Lynn said...

I know too.