Sunday, July 12, 2009

A Play 4 Me...


Not too far from my home a new arts center has been built. It's a wonderful and elegant structure, though not wasteful in size or amenities. I guess I would describe it as two big steps up from a community theater auditorium but a full ladder away from the Alliance Theater. No matter, its location is excellent, bringing the arts to this growing and primarily black community. It means no more traveling into midtown to see the beauty of creativity unfold - it's all right here in our own backyard.

Tonight, I went to see "For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide When the Rainbow Is Enuf", by Ntozake Shange. The production was directed by Jasmine Guy and starred several wonderful black actresses; a few of whom are fairly well known and one of whom is the daughter of a past colleague and friend.

To say that the production was very good would be like describing the perfect rose and blue sunrise as pretty. It was fantastic, bringing to Life a play/poetic story form that I remembered well for over 30 years. Shange wrote an amazing piece of work and today, it continues to hold its power.

The writing is a treat and the acting was captivating. Fantastic job, ladies!!! Thank you.

3 comments:

Lynn said...

I'm so glad you've found something that made you happy even if just an hour or two, Gayle. It's those things that keep us going in the blahs and down-days, isn't it?

I'm well, thanks for the e-mail, and I finally updated my blog a little. Your words the last time you wrote sent me forward on the path to healing in a way I can't explain and can't thank you enough for. I love you, woman. Always have. You're a touchstone no matter how long it takes us to contact each other again and again. That means the world to me.

Cardozo said...

Internet mysteries....

Your entry piqued my curiosity about Jasmine Guy, so I found her on wikipedia, where it said she'll be releasing her second vocal album soon, but doing so online. The article also said Prince now releases his albums online, which led me to Prince's website and a very hypnotic, cool-looking blue orb.

Ok, back to the real world. :)

CiCi said...

Sounds like you had an excellent time at the new theater, especially since the play was based on story you already knew. I read your blog often.