Saturday, April 19, 2008

Driving Through Life

The title sounds far more philosophical than I feel, at this moment. My car, a solid 1997 Saturn has hiccuped and coughed the past week. I've been concerned about its wellbeing for awhile but, now, I'm afraid I will have to invest a dear amount of money to keep it happy.

I suppose after 11 years it is not too much to ask that I spring for a few parts and attention. I am however, one of those Americans who has lost real income due to the economic downturn (which started 8 years ago with the tech stock adjustment and has been squeezing poor and middle class folks since) fueled by increases in gas costs which has lead to the increases in everything else.

Smart though I believe myself to be, I jumped off the high paying job train in 1991 and have never quite recovered financially. My choice, and I certainly have to take responsibility for that one. Unfortunately, it is compounded by the poor choices made by those powerful politicians who decided that war and the prosperity of a few were more important than the well being of the citizens they were sworn to serve.

As I listen to the campaigners I have a sense of disgust at the way those in and aspiring to office handle politics and the running of this country. It would be sad if it wasn't so damn frightening.


All that being said, I have to decide what to give up in order to have a functioning car. I should probably buy a new one but the idea of signing up for 4 - 5 years of debt sends a chill up my spine.

I'm complaining and I do apologize. I'm just get tired of not having enough. I can do without the frivolous and even laugh at myself when I am lamenting the loss of some indulgence. But it pisses me off when the basics, like a reliable transportation vehicle seem beyond my grasp.

And yes, I do realize there are many folks worse off than me. It makes me wonder why we are not revolting against the callousness and greed that drives our economic system. What is the carrot that we so easily chase rather than look around and say this stinks and we need to change it?


Well, if the timing is right, I'll have some work in June that will create the down payment for a new car. If not, I'm not sure what I will do. Mass transit in this city is virtually non-existent.

I suppose, if all else fails, I will just carry-on. I'll patch up whatever breaks and keep moving as best I can. That's all a girl can do, isn't it?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've often wondered myself why there isn't more of a revolution on the streets, a 'real people' level type discussion of how bad this economy really is.

I stood up to the Coca-Cola man again this week *weak laugh* I told him to tell his manager to tell HIS manager to tell whoever priced their products that I've been buying Coke products for over 20 years until mid-2007 when their prices started going up when no one else's did. I did the unthinkable and switched brands. I haven't had coke products in my house in over a year except for a 16 oz. bottle *since they're the same price no matter which brand*. I said all this to the Coca Cola man while standing next to my cart filled with 10 twelve-packs of RC products that cost $2 a pack while he was loading $4.98 a pack.

It's a little thing, the Coke prices, but it's also the big picture too. You know what I mean, Gayle, or do I just sound like a raving lunatic. I've cut so much out of my budget at this point we're limping along...if it hadn't been for the $2 packs, the family would've been drinking kool-aid all week.

My only solution to how screwed up this system is is to vote Democrat this November, write my Congresspeople about earmarks and stay vocal about it on the state level too.

I'm so sorry about your car. That's one of the worst positions to be in, I know. There are of course worse things, but it's a hard, hard place to be, too. I'm thinking of you, Gayle, and knowing that you'll think of a way. You're resourceful and strong.

Love to you

Anonymous said...

I echo your sentiments about the politics. As for the car, if you can get by with mass transit for a while, you might be able to save a bit for a good used car with lower mileage, that in the long run, would be easier on your pocket book. Be well,
J.

Unknown said...

You want a rant? I gotta rant. I too have that "wait... I went to college.. I've got degrees.. I even make a reasonable salary... yet I find it hard to have what I want... what I thought all those years of school would get me." Always having to choose between two things... never getting both... or (be honest) ALL.

I got a want list as long as my life. I want a dog. I want a Toyota Rav4, I want a house (with some land on a lake or near a beach, with a view and good layout, adorable well made made for two plus guests now and then, and room for a workshop, maybe a place to throw pottery, oh.. and definitely a 2 car garage, in a nice community where I can make lots of friends... oh and a fireplace with a high ceiling. Near everything, but natural and in the woodsy of course). I'd also like a new computer, hey how bout some new clothes but I don't want to need them so much, because while we're at it..

I'd really really REALLY like to be a freelancer who gets paid to do something I love to do with enough money to have the time to watch it grow and still read a book at the coffee shop or go on vacation to nice places. I want to learn a new skill by taking really expensives courses, and I want to buy another dog. I'd like my husband to be able to go to a nutritionist (well both of us) and maybe we should take kung fu or karate or yoga or something. I definitely should have a trainer and a gym membership. Oh and someone to deep clean my home once a month. And... Maybe get a neck job.. ( I know... shallow... but screw y'all. Like Nora Ephron, "I feel bad about my neck")

I say eat the rich... but only because I'm not one of them.. and I'd be so much kinder, better, more enlightened if I had their money. Sure.

Okay.. taking a deep breath now. Taking another deep breath. Maybe I'll just have to suck it up. (including the fact that I was so very stupid through my 20s and 30s) If I want a Toyota Rav4, I can't become a freelancer, because I can't afford to be without the payments. If I get a Toyota Rav4 or if I become a freelancer, I might not have the money to make payments on a house.. so do I want the house enough to keep my job and my 96 Toyota Camry which will do just fine for a while longer anyway? I don't have a down payment for a house anyway... I have to save money. So either way... it looks like I keep the job and the car. But... What about that gym membership and the nutritionist? What about the NECK JOB?

Anonymous said...

I do think it makes sense for you to get another car instead of throwing good money after bad. There comes a point... Anyway, a new car is not a good deal - do you have Carmax in your state? This is where I got my last 2 cars (high-end used) and I couldn't have been happier. Go to Carmax on your computer (usual www and dot com address applies) and try running some models you want. They don't handle old (or cheap) clunkers - mostly the lst 4 years with relatively low mileage and there is a warranty for sometime - also u can bring back in - I think - 10 days or a few miles and get $$ back. Pics are there, and you can sort by a number of things including color, transmission type, &c. The deal is if it is at the local, you pay the requested price (no haggle!), test drive and drive off. If it is at a lot within 600 miles, you select, pay $50 for them to bring it to the local and the $50 is deducted from the price if you buy - if not, you lose the $50. Anywhere in USA beyond 600 miles is $250, but same deal.
I know what you mean about havingprior acceptable decisions made difficult by the current govt. i was going to retire this year and in the first qtr '08 my 401(k) lost 10% while the price of everything skyrocketed. I am in a big mood for CHANGE, lemme tellya. Seriously, constantly patching a car that has seen its day is no bargain - especially stress-wise. Oh, CarMax has payment plans, too. I guess we need to wait for bad times to make life decisions, huh?