Tuesday, April 15, 2008

She's Going To High School

Well, the decision is made. The woman-child will go public. It was a difficult decision and I let her make arguments for both possibilities. Her arguments were good (she is a debater, after all) and it was clear that her heart and Spirit were with the public school. She actually said "I think I'd be more comfortable (in the public school) and that would make it easier to take more risks; to try more things. There are a lot of things I want to learn about, you know."

For some it might seem insane to let a child influence this decision so deeply, but she is very special and I trust her Spirit to know what is best for her. Both schools are excellent and highly selective, though the private clearly holds the prestigious name. The public wins national honors in writing each year and that is the special program she is entering.

In some ways it is hard for me to turn down a huge scholarship like that but some other child will benefit and it will be the perfect school for them.

Well, that's our news for now. B-t-w, England pics are coming I just need the weekend to get it together!

Later Gators.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Reminds me of when I was young,and my father decided to send us to private school. Nothing very tony ... Ours was a small little christian school with a pile of new teachers. And my father's goal was to remove us from the negative hippy influence of the public school... so he'd found this quiet little backwater christian private school (with a chapel!)

Meanwhile.. I thought there was nothing cool about that school. I wanted to be with my friends not in some corny little backwater born again school from nowhere (or so I thought) I decided my goal in life was to get him to send me back.

But, I had my father's achilles in my sights. I knew just how to get him to send me back. My father was deathly afraid of sex education in the schools... he was the kind of old fart that joined organizations to stop it, in fact. So, one day my spanish teacher (who had not received books for the class yet) was trying to be hip and talk to the kids. She just casually asked us whether we had boyfriends yet.. etc. Suddenly, I knew I could win. I had my out. I just went to my dad and said.. you know we had sex education in Spanish class today. She was asking us whether we'd been kissed by boys yet and how far we'd gone with them. (I elaborated beyond the conversation a bit more... moving in on his worst fear. and BAM! Success was mine)

The next day we were moved back to public...

At the time I thought I'd won. Now I wonder if he was glad of an excuse not to shell out the money for what had begun as a whim.

Michael said...

Trust her indeed. We all know our own song that we need to follow.
Standing behind her with a steady hand is the best you can do.

Take Care
Michael

Anonymous said...

Hey....your woman-child will make her OWN prestigious name, Gayle. She don't need no steekin' school for that.

Keep trusting that Spirit of hers.