Saturday, April 12, 2008

Castles, Sheep and Green



Our Spring Break trip to England was filled with joy, family and fun! Paul gave us a beautiful glimpse of his Life and a tour of his homeland.


We traveled from Loughton to Worthing with a few stops in between. The girl-child and I became known as the ducklings because everywhere we went we could be seen trailing behind him, cameras in hand. Through alleyways, up the greenest hills and in and out of castle rooms we followed his lead and were treated to wonder after wonder, as a result.

If you have occasion to read this, Paul. Thank you for one of the best times - ever.

It was a whirlwind of a week and we have pics galore, memories to last a good while and hopes to host his family on this side of the Atlantic one day soon.

On another note...
I am once again a very proud momma! The woman-child made it into one of the most prestigious and sought after private schools in Atlanta. As is the way with teenagers, she has decided she does not want to go and would rather spend her high school years with the good friends she has made in middle school.

What I know is that she won't see much of them in class anyway because of the special program she has been accepted into in the public high school. She'll only have classes with the other kids in that program. It's a little heartbreaking because I know she will miss her friends a great deal, though I'd like to see them spend time at our home at least once a month. She has met some wonderful children over the past 3 years.


While in England she mentioned that she wanted to be a diplomat and I tried to explain to her that that doesn't just happen. You need recommendations from congressional reps or senators and the kinds of connections it's hard to make in public school.

Reasons for her to go private are many. There are also reasons for her to remain public. A greater sense of belonging, for one. She's done fine not having the resources that her schoolmates have so far, but if she makes this move she will be going to school with kids whose parents are the "captains of industry". Not that I have or would ever try but, there will be no way I could compete when it comes to parties, gifts and all things I think are luxuries that these children take for granted as necessities.

She will also be one of maybe 4 or 5 black students in the high school. I know how isolating that can feel and I don't really want that experience for her. Being realistic, she may as well get used to the feeling because unless she goes into public education, she's likely to spend a lot of time being one of 4 or 5.

It will be an interesting 4 years and will test her strength of character and perhaps my own.

I'm probably going to play the bad mommy role and force her to go to the private. It will strain my already stretched pocketbook and I have no idea how I'll make it work. But the school as given her a scholarship worth 3/4 of the tuition and I think that means they really want her there.

For the education, contacts and college springboard I think I want her there.

Be well, my friends.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

By all means, give her all the educational advantages you can. Nice to hear you in a happy frame of mind! Be well,
J.

Unknown said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful time in England. What a great way to spend spring break.

Nice to hear also that your sweetie got into a prestigious private school. She's a very lucky girl! Whichever way it goes.. congratulations!

Audrey

aafrica said...

you must post the pictures! England is on top of my to-do list. but for now, i'll couch-travel :)

you have a very talented and self-motivated child. i envy you. at the same time, i still believe in public education, the good ones at least.

Anonymous said...

What wonderful news, Gayle!!! She isn't the CHUD anymore, is she...she really IS your Woman-Child. And getting into the private school...WOW! CONGRATS to her!!!!!

I'd probably come down on the bad mommy side too...doing things the hard way for the best reasons always builds character, doesn't it? That's been my experience, it's Becca's experience now with her relationship with Joe and how the family is handling it, it's how Jess is dealing with working full-time and killing herself to get into grad school too... I know it's not the SAME...but then, somehow it IS too...if you've got it inside you to make it no matter what the odds, the challenges, the barriers, you WILL.
You obviously believe your Bright and Shining will. I do too.

Much much love to you.