Saturday, May 03, 2008

Energy

I feel as if the energy that moves through my Life has taken on a different vibration. There is a greater sense of joy than I had been feeling in the past. I think it has been building steadily for about a year and a half.

I made the decision, about two and a half years ago, to give up being disappointed. At the time, I was tired of being let down by everyone and just about everything. When I was younger (my teens through my 30's) I was considered the eternal optimist. Though some of that lingered, the circumstances of Life seemed to weigh me down and it was as if much of my optimism, joy and anticipation of the next good thing had sort of leaked out of my Life.

I found that all I could count on was not having enough of most things except stress, anxiety and fear. I was being swallowed up. I went to see a therapist who told me that I had every reason to feel as I did. My Life was a bit out of my control - tax issues, huge reduction in income, single parenting, an aging parent to care for, and a boss who actively worked to make my Life as miserable as possible.

The therapist wanted to do reflective exercises that would help me clarify where I was and would likely get me moving forward. Unfortunately, I couldn't afford the $20/week and stopped going after 2 months. But, it helped to know that my Life was not the sum total of my own mistakes, that there were other forces (some created by my choices and some a result of external insanity) that impacted me.

I started to try to sort out what was my responsibility, what could I fix and what should I simply give up. It was around my 49th birthday that I flipped the switch and began to try to regain my optimism. I found it was easy when communicating with or supporting others - like writing in my blog or helping a couple of co-workers move through a disagreement. But, my inner Life was still plagued with the fear that the "best" had already happened (and b-t-w, it wasn't all that great) and now, I was living the "rest".

The New Agers used to say "Change your mind and your Life will follow" and I believe that's true. So, I changed my mind about disappointment. What if Life was not a disappointment? What if being single was fine? If not having enough financial resources was temporary and provided much needed skill in budgeting, saving and reeling in the spending? What if my Life could be absolutely joyful, just as it is, simply because it is my Life? What if I focused on the people and circumstances in my Life that were good, honest, beautiful, expansive, caring, trusting and trustworthy? What if I could regain my trust in Life and in myself?

Little by little the world around me seemed to comply with my shift in perspective. I changed my role and department at work and gained relative peace and a sense that my contributions are valued, to some extent. I traded in the need for a man and began to fully appreciate the Love of friends and family. For my body, which I stopped hating and warring with, I began more routine exercise, small changes in diet; for my mind, less absorption of the negativity that pops up on a minute by minute basis in others and more frequently remembering to let go of the negativity that pops up in me.
I think all these things have combined to cause me to smile more and to laugh with greater ease.

And now I look at the good stuff that's been happening - more learning at work, a great trip (and I still haven't lost the feeling of it), an old friend reaching out to find me, a child that remains on a steady upward climb, a mom who is still energetic and lucid, a comfortable place to live, the possibility of a new career in a few years and the possibility of greater freedom when the teenager goes out into the world of the university - each of these just reinforces my joy and, I think, helps create a snowball effect of that energy. I am optimistic again and, at last, feel grounded.


Well, whether I've really explained anything or not I can't say. But, it's wonderful to be able to state, in the words of the late, great James Brown -

I feel good, dun na nunna nunna na, like I knew that I would!

May the energy continue to vibrate in all the best ways in my Life and in yours...
Later Gators...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just stopping by. Hope you're enjoying this Sunday. I'm glad to hear you've found so much positive energy in your world. Keep up the good work. Be well,
J.

Anonymous said...

Hebrews 12:1 “Now faith is the substance of things hoped for…”
I don’t normally start with quote from the Bible on my first visit to a new site, but as I read your post this verse jumped from the recesses of my mind. The connection may seem hazy, but let me see if I can put it simply. The word hope means to have a confident expectation of some future thing or event. We look into the future and believe that some “thing” is going to happen. Hope can be positive or negative. It’s sort of like catching a vision of one’s life being a certain way in the days to come. This scripture indicates that hope (our vision of the future) comes first.
How will the hope (vision) come to pass? How will the hope be given “substance”, be made real?
The Hebrew word for “faith” can also be translated as “faithful” or “faithfulness”. This verse tells us that “faith” is the very “substance of things hoped for”. This faith is a two-fold thing. First, faith is a belief that the “things hoped for” will absolutely take place given time. Second, if we truly believe the vision, then we will begin to live as if we believe; which means we will be “faithful” to the hope, and start living out of that belief. Our “faith” (belief) in the future hope (or vision) will cause us to begin to live in “faithfulness” and the combination of the “faith” of believing and the “faithfulness” of doing will give “substance” (make real) the hope. Just some thoughts from ‘rett.

gbchange said...

Thanks, Jorge. You know you are one of my inspirations! I enjoy hearing you reflect on Life from a male point of view - it anchors my faith.

serf'rett - I am familiar with the scripture. Thank you for taking the time to break it down. I am faithful, in the sense that I am full of faith. It is at this point in my Life that I am learning what to have faith in and how to express that faith.

The gifts of Spirit are many and I am grateful for every moment of my experience.

Please stop by again and if you blog, please leave an address. I'd like to visit you, as well.

Gayle

Anonymous said...

This is a great post and has given me some stuff to think about. I've been through some of these same types of periods in my life. Now I need to reflect on those and figure out what was behind those and where I want to be now.

Anyway - thanks. I'm thinking.