Saturday, May 31, 2008

Friends

I've had the pleasure of finding good and true friends throughout my Life. They show up when I am in joy and in pain and share the best and the worst of those states with me. I have friends who have stuck with me since I was 14 years old and friends I have known for only a few years. Each in their way helps my heart know the meaning of grace.

I just giggled with my oldest friend across telephone wires about how much my teenager reminds me of her - the lines of her body and how she carries herself show up in my child. It's a little unnerving, especially since they only see each other once every few years. But there is my friend, winking at me from behind my daughter's eyes.

I shared a laugh this morning with another old friend of more than 20 years via this electronic highway. Chatting online we shared our thoughts, our fears, commitments to ourselves and our observations of how things change and yet remain constant in our lives. We fretted and smiled at how our early childhood stories continue to write our present and how we are learning to enjoy our lives in spite of and because of those things we have experienced, seen and been unable to forget.

But, this blog entry is really inspired by a new friend, an online buddy who regularly leaves comments and sends emails and has become a part of my world over the past few years. Today she is being courageous and leaving a relationship that has become hurtful and scary for her and her 5 children. Takes guts - monster guts.

We spoke yesterday and she is frightened of not being able to support the kids on her own, or keep him from getting too crazy over the break up. She's worried about her own health which she has struggled with for a while now.

I don't know if my words soothed, helped or made a difference in her world. That's the tricky part about new friendships, you give but it's hard to be sure if your gift was the one that was needed. I hope she got what she needed from me and I hope I can give even more.


Do you have a friend in need of you today? Or, maybe you're the one who needs a hand. Either way, reach out. Friendship is one of Life's noblest gifts. Experience your gifts to the fullest!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Gayle,
You are blessed to be a blessing!

I'm glad I came here by way of Lynn's. I look forward to reading your past blogs and getting to know you better!

Happy to be part of the "Love Shower"...

Anonymous said...

You helped, Gayle, so much. Your wisdom, your calmness, your loving voice, the sensible-ness of your advice...you were exactly what I needed at the time, and I knew you would be, I am just that sure of who you are and what kind of friend you've always been to me.

Thank you so much for your amazing suggestion, too. I'd never have thought of it, never dreamed the girls and I would get the response we've gotten. You know how much YOU love the people who are your friends, but then to see it come back to you in such a loving, generous way--it's mindblowing...heart rich, soul souring to feel it. I am so much enjoying the "love shower", Gayle, thanks to you and all my wonderful friends, especially in this rough time.

I only hope that someday my story will be your other friend's story too. If she ever decides to step out on her own, let me know...I'd like to Pay It Forward to her for all the love I'm being shown.

Your loving, soothed, helped, enlightened friend and sister,
Lynn

Anonymous said...

Oh, and isn't it amazing, this time we're living in??? Tomorrow, Barack Obama will finally be the Democratic Presidential Nominee. I'm so proud and grateful this day has FINALLY come.

Yes we can, Gayle.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much Gayle: for your love, support during this time, your generosity of spirit, and your advice. It's such a blessing to have friends like you.

I hope you've had as happy the past few days as I have after Tuesday night. It's done my heart so much good to find this country, all these people ready to embrace change and be more concerned with the IDEAS of Barack Obama, rather than consider the color of his skin. With all the negativity going on in my life, it's been such a blessing to be not only in the midst of a historic, wonderful time politically, but, because of you, be showered with love. Thank you so much, dear Sister.

I love you,
Lynn