Saturday, August 30, 2008

Work, Work, Work!

The interviews, back-to-back, each for a Director position, happened on Tuesday. The first was for the job I am least interested in and I figured that was good. This way I could practice my calm and composed responses (I'm grateful to the meditative practices that I was introduced to at a young age) on the first panel grilling me. Hopefully, I'd do well enough so that I would gain momentum going into the next interview.

The first panel was tough to read; they rarely smiled. In fact, one of the panelists furrowed her brow midway through my response to her question and said "I don't understand what you are saying", then asked a follow-up question. I paused and thought of another way to answer the question. That one seemed to go over a bit better but, I had the feeling that points were definitely lost.

All tolled, the first interview lasted about 40 minutes and, by the end, I'd managed to slip in a funny line that made at least half the panel (there were 4 panel members) smile. I still couldn't shake the idea that I'd left at least one of them less than enthused.

On to interview #2. Deep breath, door opens, 5 panelists are introduced and I take my seat. Question after question is shot at me. The hypotheticals were tough but, the experience-related questions were my chance to shine. And, my friends, shine I did! I brought out a laugh from this panel at least 3 times. I was relaxed and at the top of my interview game (though I must admit I am relatively interview inexperienced since 1/2 my worklife was spent running my own business).

There was a point during the interview when I felt happy, really happy. I realized afterwards it was because, within this organization, my experience has not been well respected and often seen as irrelevant. But, on Tuesday, sitting in front of those 5 executives, I was able to clearly articulate how that experience has served our organization and how it could further serve.

I believe I surprised them and that was good.

Now, it's on to a second round of interviews, most likely with the executives to whom I will report directly. I think its all done except for the politics and that, my friends, can always burst a balloon. So, send some good energy and prayers my way. Take a minute to see me in the job I'm seeking; see me working hard and enjoying the fruits of my labor.

Finally, enjoy this holiday weekend and may every bump in your road bounce you closer to your desires!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Tonight is the new moon in virgo.. a perfect time to ask for opportunities to be of service. You've done the asking.. May this new moon be the moment that provides you with the opportunity that suits you best, gives you the most joy and allows you to best serve others in the world around you.

love to you.

Wanderlust Scarlett said...

Gayle, I will gladly send prayers and good thoughts your way... you WILL get a great position.
You Will.

Just let us know when it happens!
Best to you.

Scarlett & Viaggiatore

Anonymous said...

I hope the people doing your interviews realize what a gem they are getting, and that politics will not raise its ugly head to stand in the way of the job that you want. One of th etings I learned in the interview game is that it is a two way street. If you are able to ask some good, thoughtful questions regarding the job, the company, and your role in the organization, that is sometimes more potent than the answers you give. Be well,
J.

Anonymous said...

HI! I am sorry I have been away so long! Thank you for stopping by. I will be around more, I promise.