Monday, August 25, 2008

The English Have Landed

We had a wonderful time this weekend!

The house was in good shape for the arrival of our guests; the painting was completed and a few repairs done. I stormed through the rooms cleaning (which if you know me, you know I try to avoid at all cost); vacuuming, dusting, organizing, washing and scrubbing.

Katie, Tom and Paul made themselves right at home, which is the best way for guests to get along, in my house, anyway.

There was a barbecue on the newly cleaned deck (which looked fantastic, if I do say so myself) and a few Atlanta friends came over to share in the welcoming of my English family-friends. The new grill worked perfectly and Paul played chef (hey Gay-el, I'm the guest, why am I doin' all the cookin?), while I made sure everyone had a full glass and plate. We ate lots, laughed and talked while the kids ran around being teenagers.

I know it was a good time because a few friends asked "why don't we do this more often?" So, I have made the commitment to do just that. Invites go out for the third Saturday in September.

Saturday and Sunday we did the tourist/cultural/educational things on the agenda. Shopping was done because the exchange rate is so favorable for them (and because Paul is a shopper - a lovely trait in a man, don't you think?).

It all went by in a rush. About an hour ago I dropped them at the airport and we said our goodbyes. It is sometimes hard for me to keep my focus on the joy and grace of what is, for however long it is, rather than a focus on what's coming next. So, I got caught a few times, over the weekend, lamenting that they would soon be leaving.

Some things just feel like there should be more.

The world travelers are now on a plane to NYC where there will be lots more sights to see, shopping and fun! But, no where will they find a warmer welcome than right here, at my doorstep.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad you had such a great visit! Be well,
J.