Wednesday, August 13, 2008

The Perfect Storm

Is there someone in (or out) of your Life that makes you flutter inside when you think of them? Someone who, no matter how much time has passed, causes your skin to flush and your mind to race? Some DNA-coded human whose incredible and unique biology turns you basic and animal? Maybe that man or woman became your Life partner (aren't you a lucky one!) or maybe one of you walked away...

I have visceral reactions to people - I always have. The first time my ex-husband touched me, on the day we met (he was a dentist and cradled my face during an exam), I started to cry. I thought it was because the touch was surprisingly tender but I wonder, now, if it wasn't just a case of prescience. Either way, though I Loved him dearly, he didn't fall into that unusual category.

No, there are people who can touch our lives and stir up powerful storms. Sometimes those storms are healthy and wipe away the clutter and non-essential buzz that day-to-day Life often brings. Sometimes they create such disruption that critical balance is lost and heartache and fear take over. In rare instances, the presence of one of these special human beings in your Life can do all that and much, much more.

I have had the extraordinary gift of meeting two men whose air streams have shaken my foundation. Loving them has taken me beyond fear, beyond anger, beyond heart-wrenching pain, beyond simple joys and (with at least one of them) well beyond exquisite pleasure. They have (in very different ways) helped me find peace within my heart. One man has become like a brother to me and the other remains quite the Lover.

So that, on this side of 50, I can appreciate Love for its own sake; take in Love that is tender, strong, lacking in perfection, deep and fully alive. My Love for each of them is a natural wonder that I couldn't have anticipated and, for which I am truly grateful.

I'm skipping around these days with a very pleased grin on my face because I'm going to get to hold and experience (and all manner of other unmentionables) my perfect storm, for a little while. Life can be oh, so sweet!

What about you? Any storms blowing in or through your world?

Oh, and the Olympics are as captivating as ever. Go Michael Phelps! How affirming to see someone push beyond the limits, creating new possibilities.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How wonderful for you! Though I'm filled with all sorts of prurient questionsand thoughts, I'll just repeat the comment...How wonderful for you!
J.

Redhead Editor said...

Thanks for commenting on my blog. How do you "know" me? Take Care Michael? E-mail me.

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you're experiencing (or about to) your perfect storm right now! My perfect storm was Jenny when I first met her many years ago and that joy thankfully has lingered on and not faded.

But I still get quite an emotional flutter from anyone who is larger than life, bursting with vitality, or just stunningly beautiful. Yesterday I saw on TV Rosie Pope the 61 year old woman who ran 20,000 miles across the world raising awareness of prostate cancer, which her husband died of. She was so happy and so full of life after her amazing adventure, I was absolutely captivated by her.

Anonymous said...

Hi Gail.
its been such a long time, that I have visited you..
so happy to see that your doing well, and are on embarking on a lovely adventure. I pray that it will be a wonderful walk, filled with many warm smiles..
take care..
Hope