Saturday, August 09, 2008

Everyday Life

School starts on Monday; which means high school, for my home. Typical to the adolescent persona, the womanchild is fairly nonchalant about the whole thing. She admits to hoping that she will find her new school interesting and engaging and, at the same time, she believes she will be disappointed. How sad is that? Because, though I know she will make the most of it, I think she is right. Education, as an industry (public and private), does little to support exploration, personal development and expression of the soul. I realize most educators would say that these things are not the purpose of education. Yet, ask almost any teenager and they will tell you that it should be.

If I know my baby, she'll find the space she needs or she'll make her own. That's what the past 14 years of focus for me have been all about; growing a young woman who knows her mind, her body and her Spirit. The rubber is starting to meet the road.

On the lighter side, the weather here has broken. We have moved out of the 90's and back into the 80's. Hallelujah! The temperature is finally bearable and I hope it lasts for a while. We'll see...

Countdown to the arrival of our guests. The painter blew me off this week but, we still have time to get it all done. I'm not fretting, it's just that having conceived a vision of my home for their arrival, I'd like to make it come alive. Send me some good energy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hope your daughter gets pleasantly surprised at school, but I share many of your reservations about our educational system. I was fortunate to have had some very good teachers, and I appreciate the huge difference they can make in the life of a student in the most formative time of their lives. Hope the house gets finished in time. be well,
J.