Monday, March 12, 2007

When No Means No

David was certainly right in one respect - according to several folks on the interview panel, every applicant checked the requisite boxes and only one had the related experience. That one will be my new team lead.

I had some mixed feelings about this; she's about 15 years younger and, while bright, will need a good deal of support to get the job done. I'll certainly rise to the occasion and help her adjust.

I learned a few things about myself as I walked through this experience. I didn't really want that job. I haven't really wanted a job with this outfit for as long as I've been here. Initially, it was because the loss of my business wounded me deeply, then it was the boss from hell whom I swear sat up nights thinking of dramatic ways she could torture me.

Lately, though, in this department I've been a part of for a year now, it hasn't been bad. I've had a chance to breathe, use my mind and be creative. I've been appreciated for my work and that has had a healing effect. I've learned a great deal about people and how they work/break apart/stir up mess/and generally act like fallible human beings. I've learned a great deal about myself and my susceptibility to go along with the emotional crowd. When I am operating in a weakened mode (fearful of the future and angry about the past) I forget myself and take part in all the ways of being I dislike. I gossip and criticize, bitch and moan, whine and complain - yechh!

This new job would have meant more money, more responsiblity and more ability to influence the world around me. I want all these things. So, it was a mild surprise to discover that once I saw the carrot up close I would, in my own unconscious style, say no to it. I kept telling myself what a good opportunity it was, but I was never excited about the work. Some part of me was whispering that there is something more, some place to stand that has a completeness to it, that is a truer reflection of the Gayle that I am.

My Spirit said "no" long before my mind could wrap itself around the idea. I had to re-do the application 4 times before I realized that skipping parts and and leaving out vital information might be more than mere oversight. How did I get so far away from my dreams and desires? I'd been so far away that even a pallid facsimile of my deepest wishes seemed good enough.

There is a part of me that worries about what my Life will be like if I don't take the safe course. But, I'm having a feeling similar to the one I had when I left Wall St. There is something calling me that I cannot ignore, a path that I am compelled to walk.


It has already started and will continue with school - much as I cringe at the commitment of time, there's a PhD in my future. I'm going to try not to relocate, but in the end it will depend on which program accepts me. All this is scheduled for fall of 2008 - not very far away, by my vision, and there is so much to do between here and there.

I'll tell more as it unfolds, but there are wings I haven't used in a while and flying seems the only way forward.

Spring is a wonderful time, don't you think???

8 comments:

Unknown said...

YEAH GAYLE ! Go for it. I understand exactly what you mean. I've got this admin degree and I simply don't want what it is.

Anonymous said...

Gayle,
Only you could make getting turned down/losing a promotion you didn't really want sound like a great adventure! And I have no doubt at all that it will be one for you.
The more money, more responsibility and ability to shape the world around you is still going to belong to you. The great thing is, now you know where it isn't, at least. That's more accomplishment than some reach their entire lives. You are blessed, and a blessing.
Love and Hugs!

Anonymous said...

Lurking by way of Tanilan! Although I can't offer any advise or thought provoking comments, I do know how you feel and where you're coming from. Keep your eyes towards the prize.

Anonymous said...

Spring IS a wonderful time. So nice to see you coming into full bloom :-)
Be well,
J.

Hope said...

Dear Gayle,
Spring is a beautiful time of the year.. I love its warmth.. seeing all the little buds starting out in new life..
Winter has been long and at times rather harsh.. during which time I have had a glimse or two of things about me that I don't care for.. guess its time to start pruning.. even if it does hurt.. it will be worth it..in the end..
been thinking about you..
love Hope

Anonymous said...

Yes, Gayle, spring is a beautiful time of year... a time of rebirth... a time for hope to take root and grow... a time for dreams to blossom... a time for the sun to shine down on you and warm your spirit. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

You know those tricksy spirits gayle, and you know you should follow. You'll do it. As always you are an inspiration.

Anonymous said...

David is SO often right, and about SO many things. I recognize the feeling you refer to - the one you got when you left Wall St. I wound up in 1) California and 2) Saudi when I got it. It is said somehere that when folks are crushed they just plod on, but beware when things improve slightly, THAT is when revolution erupts - the time of rising expectations. So when you were crushed by losing your biz and the B from Hell, you just thought, "If only it were a little bit better", but when you realize how uninspiring 'better' is, compared to 'great'; it just won't do. I always precede leaving something by thinking of how good I have it - on paper - Looks like you are just about there. I hope you can make a break and still manage to eat occasionally but if not - well, there are folks who'd kill to be able to stay on a diet. A part of you should be wondering what your life will be like if you DO take the safe course...